Welcome

I have suffered from autoimmune disease since the age of 17 and I have several relatives who are also fighting autoimmune diseases. I have been diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis (AIH), Lupus, and the Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS). Family members have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Dermatomyositis, Grave’s, Hashimoto’s, Vitiligo, and Type I Diabetes.

In the search for my diagnosis, I have seen doctors in six states, from every medical specialty, seven of whom were Rheumatologists. I had an extremely difficult time finding a doctor to take my symptoms seriously because most of my blood work was normal and I did not look sick. I have a Master’s degree in Aerospace engineering and solve puzzles for a living as a systems analyst. I resorted to reading medical journal articles to try to put my own pieces together when the doctors were finished looking. I ended up being a very complicated case and had the unfortunate luck to end up with the rarest and oddest of symptoms, as if all autoimmune symptoms aren’t bizarre enough! It took me 13 years to finally find a doctor who understood my body.

As a result of my search for a diagnosis, I’ve learned a lot about the immune system, doctors, and the medical system. I’ve been asked by numerous people who have heard my story how did I find out certain facts, or how did I find a certain doctor because they also have a friend who the doctors don’t seem to be able to help? Over time, I’ll post all the knowledge I’ve gained over the years, to give someone else having troubles obtaining that elusive diagnosis some other options to consider when you hit a brick wall.

Email: autoimmunediagnosis@gmail.com

Medical Disclaimer

This website is for informational purposes only. Readers are encouraged to confirm the information contained herein with other sources. Patients should review the information with their professional health care provider. The information is not intended to replace medical advice offered by physicians. Remember I’m a rocket scientist not a doctor.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Elevated Factor VIII in Liver Disease

I had lots of coagulation blood work drawn after being diagnosed with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). One of those tests happened to be a Factor VIII test which ended up being elevated. The test was actually ordered on accident and the doctor could not explain anything about the test. I started research Factor VIII and decided most doctors really don’t know much about this coagulation factor.

Interestingly I discovered some articles that explain Factor VIII is actually increased in liver disease when most all the other clotting proteins and factors are reduced due to impaired liver function. This sounds like a contradiction but scientists have discovered that the cirrhotic liver in unable to produce adequate amounts of a protein called low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP). One of the functions of LRP is to control the amount of Factor VIII in the blood stream by metabolizing excess amounts of Factor VIII. Another contributing factor to the increase of Factor VIII in liver disease is the increased production of von Willebrand factor (vWF) in cirrhosis. Just as LRP helps regulate the levels of Factor VIII by destroying the extra Factor VIII, vWF helps preserve Factor VIII. Therefore extra vWF and low levels of LRP would lead to higher levels of Factor VIII.


Factor VIII expression in liver disease

There is yet one more reason for increased levels of Factor VIII in liver disease. The liver is composed of tons of special cells found only in the liver called sinusoidal endothelial cells. They are very permeable and allow the liver to directly interact with the blood and perform its life essential functions. In autoimmune hepatitis (AIH) and other autoimmune liver conditions, antibodies attack these sinusoidal endothelial cells and turn them into normal capillary endothelial cells found throughout the body, which are not permeable. These special sinusoidal endothelial cells have some other important properties. One of which is they do not make Factor VIII, which normal capillary endothelial cells do. Therefore Factor VIII increases when lots of sinusoidal endothelial cells are replaced with Factor VIII producing normal endothelial cells.

Capillarization of Hepatic Sinusoid by Liver Endothelial Cell-Reactive Autoantibodies in Patients with Cirrhosis and Chronic Hepatitis

No comments:

Post a Comment